2011 Campaign for the DRS Technologies Charitable Foundation
The DRS Technologies Charitable Foundation provides grants to causes that reflect its commitment to the United States Armed Forces, the health and education of children, and community and civic causes that improve the quality of life at DRS site communities. Through the Foundation, DRS Technologies and its employees have rapidly responded to natural disasters, supported numerous relief programs at home and abroad and offered financial assistance to help those in critical need.
Help can come from many forms. While donations of money are the most useful and flexible, some forms of aid include large supplies of specially needed items. In a disaster, this can be food. But it can also mean bulk trash liners and other cleaning supplies. CleanItSupply has been a loyal supporter of the Foundation for many years, offering products needed to clean and disinfect living quarters, and to remove rubble and refuse. Many lives are saved by the prompt application of disinfectants, quick migration of waste away from living areas, and removal of insect breeding environments.
A 501(c)(3) organization, the Foundation provides philanthropic support to organizations and charities that meet the below published qualifications and guidelines.
The DRS Technologies Charitable Foundation welcomes requests for support throughout the year. The Foundation does not consider multi-year requests for support. Grant requests should be submitted in the form of a letter using organizational letterhead. E-mail requests are also welcomed. To be considered, the request must include the following:
- A brief description of the organization, its mission and population served
- Information indicative of the organization's current support structure, such as a listing of board members and other contributors who have found the organization's operations worthy of financial support
- Cash amount, or specific items and/or services requested, and the intended use
- Information on the expected outcome of the project or program, and how this outcome will be measured
- Copy of the organization's Internal Revenue Code (IRC) § 501(c)(3) letter or other documentation substantiating tax exemption status
Other Important Information
- The DRS Technologies Charitable Foundation reviews grant requests on an ongoing basis. There are no deadlines for submission, and the Foundation will respond to inquiries within four-to-six weeks of receipt an organization's request. The Foundation does not respond to telephone follow-ups. We appreciate your cooperation.
- Please do not send videos, CDs, books, or binders. The Foundation will contact the organization if it requires materials based on an initial letter of request.
- Approval of a grant does not entitle an organization to receive future contributions in the future, nor does approval of a grant to an organization entitle a similar organization to receive a grant.
- All organizations receiving grants from the Foundation must have a Form W-9 on file. If an organization receives a grant, that organization will be required to complete a Form W-9.
Since the Foundation receives funding requests that exceed its annual grants program budget, it must often decline support to worthy organizations and programs. Denial of a request does not reflect a negative appraisal of the requesting organization or the value of its services.
The Guardian Scholarship Fund
DRS Technologies and the National Guard Educational Foundation have established The DRS Guardian Scholarship Fund, which will provide college scholarships to the children of National Guardsmen killed during service to their country. Eligible High School Juniors and Seniors can apply for up to $25,000 paid over a four year college education. These are the children of heroes who made the ultimate sacrifice to protect freedom. If you would like to contribute, please use this safe and secure website. A tax deductible receipt will be printed at the end of your transaction. Thank you for supporting the children of America's heroes.
Qualifications & Guidelines
The DRS Technologies Charitable Foundation is committed to supporting initiatives and programs that benefit the following:
- Members of the United States Armed Forces and their families
- The education of children
- Health and welfare programs
- Community and civic organizations serving DRS site communities
- Disaster relief
An organization requesting support must be a not-for-profit organization operating in the United States that is tax exempt under Internal Revenue Code (IRC) § 501(c)(3) and §509 (a)(1), (2) or (3).
The Foundation gives preference to regional projects that serve the broader community where DRS has major facilities.
The Foundation will not consider requests from or for the following:
- Organizations, or events sponsored by organizations that discriminate by race, creed, gender, disability, sexual orientation, age, religion or nationality
- Individuals or families
- Religious, fraternal, political or athletic organizations
- Basic research projects
- General operating expenses
- School affiliated sports, orchestras, bands, choirs, drama groups, yearbooks or scholarships (outside of the DRS Employee Scholarship Program)
- Organizations whose mission is solely outside of the United States
Not all organizations meeting foundation qualifications and guidelines receive funding.